Emerson is pleased to announce Emerson's new Summer Debate & Art programs! These are additions to our traditional summer individual academic program.
Instructor: Julian Dotson & Experienced Varsity Debaters
Dates: June 25-29 /July 16-27 / August 13-24
Daily Session: 10:00 to 4:00 and includes 2 field trips to local museums using metro and expert guests in the field of Policy & Education
What to expect
For First time Debaters, students will learn Topic Analysis/Intro to debate & structure. Students will be actively learning debate strategies and doing computer lab research. Each debater will participate in practice debates. Instructors and junior instructors will build proper debate case structure and work intensely with excellent crossfire questioning. Experienced Debaters will learn about judging and reading opponents during debates. Students will learn the art of flowing, impact calculus refined, working on speed. Students will also build cases with cards, enhanced logic and case lingo. Finally, students will learn how to get the upper hand in questioning. All Debaters will take trips to local museums, participate in outside challenges, and mini-tournaments.
Art Program: Drawing in the City
Instructor: Elizabeth von Oehsen
Dates: June 25-29 /July 16-27
Daily Session: 10:00 to 4:00 and include field trips to local museums using metro.
What to expect
Students will learn how to draw from observation. We will cover drawing fundamentals, including value, proportion, composition, and beginner color theory. Students will draw on-site at scenic DC locations and visit local art museums to sketch and study the exhibited artwork. Students will work in a variety of materials, including graphite, colored pencil, and ink. Open to intermediate to advanced artistic levels.
- Program Size: Keeping with Emerson tradition, the program will be limited to a maximum 40 students overall and a 10 to 1 student teacher ratio in each class.
- Dates: Students can sign up on a weekly basis.
- Debate Camp - June 25-29, July 16-27 & August 13-24
- Art Program - June 25-29 & July 16-27
- Test Prep/Coding - June 25-29, July 16-27 & August 13-24 (Subject to demand)
- Hours: Drop Off: 9:30 am- Departure/Pick up: 4:00 pm
- Registration: Registration here, Online or send email to main office.
- Participants: Open to public and for rising 8th-12th grade, gap year students.
- Costs: $300.00/week
- Lunch: Lunch is not included. Students are asked to bring their own lunch.
- Meet & Greet for Registered Families: June 22 at 5:00 to 6:00
The Emerson mission is to provide a happier & healthier path to a higher education for bright students who thrive in a small and inclusive community.